FAQ Book for Volunteers

A forum for dog and cat adoption team members

Re: FAQ Book for Volunteers

Postby jenniesloan86 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:01 pm

I actually just saw that a few min ago.

I e-mailed cassandra.

But anyway, I'm pretty sure she means the black lab Ruby, who if I remember correctly was abandoned with her sister at a boarding kennel. So, they would have no rights to her legally, or in my opinion morally.
jenniesloan86

Postby Fran on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:21 pm

Thanks, Lisa, for all the clarifications. Yes, things do get confusing and I'm always so afraid of giving someone the wrong information. Choosing a pet is such a personal and serious thing -- as well it should be, you want to be sure they're well informed.

Kathryn, great idea about the vet offices too!

And, Jennie is right -- Ruby was a black lab there, totally frightened. It took her a while to come around. I wonder what's up with that situation? Honestly, I'm hoping I'd never be so careless that my dog would end up at a shelter having to wait for me to come get her. Geez, my one dog is so emotionally fragile from being abused in her "past life", even a few minutes there would devastate her.
Fran
Fran

Postby jenniesloan86 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:35 pm

Don't forget Blackwood Animal Hospital Kathryn :) They are the BEEEESSST!

From what I understand, the lady wanted to come get Ruby, but didn't understand that we don't "hold" animals. I don't understand how she would suddenly want her back after she abandoned her at a kennel, but who knows. Ruby is in a great home now :)
jenniesloan86

Postby aplappert on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:14 pm

I don't want to jump to conclusions or misjudge a person before knowing all of the facts, but if this person did abandon her dog at a boarding facility (and from what Keryl told me, the black lab Ruby had been abandoned) purposefully, then she should not be allowed, in my humble opinion, to reverse the adoption and take the dog back. Aside from the fact that this proves her lack of love and consideration for her pet, what kind of example would that set for her children? "Hey, kids...you can be irresponsible one minute and then just make a few phone calls and fix the damage you did..." Sorry, I don't think so. Just as kids aren't returnable once you commit to having them, pets shouldn't be either. It scares me that someone with kids would do this to a pet...and to his or her kids who are "so heartbroken." Psht...makes me mad...
A world full of animals to help and only one lifetime in which to do it!
aplappert

Postby aplappert on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:20 pm

As for the Vet references, GREAT IDEA.
I live in Oaklyn and use the Collingswood Veterinary Hospital and I love them there (they deal with my hypochondriac-for-my-dogs personality quite well!)

Here's the info:
Collingswood Veterinary Hospital
40 White Horse Pike
W Collingswood, NJ 08107
(856) 858-0551
http://www.collingswoodvethospital.com
Cost for basic office visit for dog or cat is $49
A world full of animals to help and only one lifetime in which to do it!
aplappert

Previous

Return to Dog and Cat Adoption Team