Glenda

A forum for dog and cat adoption team members

Glenda

Postby aplappert on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:50 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know that Glenda, the bouncing, tongue-lolling Boxer/hound mix is doing VERY well in her new home. She was taken for an overnight after I talked to a family for an hour about her personality and her endless energy. Mom was apprehensive because Glenda seemed like she would never run out of energy. I discussed with them the possibilities for the energy, but told them I felt it was a direct correlation to her being kenneled...the longer she was kenneled, the more energy pent up inside of her. I asked if they wanted to take her for an overnight and they agreed to do so. I got a call from them the next day. They said she was a COMPLETELY different dog and that she was the perfect fit in their home. We are still addressing cat-chasing issues, but the family is so totally and completely thrilled with her. They sent me pics of her sleeping peacefully...yes, actually sleeping!...with her new family.
It is a good reminder that the personalities we see in the kennel are often only a fraction of the true nature of each dog. The shelter, though a good one, is a difficult place for any dog to adjust to and some of these dogs get into a home and are just so completely different. Keep this in mind when talking to potential adopters. It is true that in many cases, what you see is the baseline of what you get, but taking a dog out of a shelter and giving him or her a home, some boundaries and some simple training is, paws down, the best way to positively affect that dog's world and bring out the real personality of that animal.
That is all for now...as I hear the stories of other dogs that have been placed, I'll continue to share what I learn from each one!
aplappert

Re: Glenda

Postby jenniesloan86 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:18 am

Glenda sleeps? lol jk

Glenda was a total hoot, and I loved having her out. I was always amazed that when she ran her front legs almost hit her in the chin. She was such a ball.

I always feel bad for the high energy ones, I know that the kennel especially takes a toll on them.

Here's a pic I captured... I think it really shows her personality lol.
Attachments
jenniesloan86

Postby aplappert on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:43 pm

That picture that you took TOTALLY made a difference in the number of people interested in her. And what made a difference in her finding a home was that a Dog Adoption Team member was available to talk to the potential family for quite some time about Glenda and her background and how we thought she might do outside of a shelter environment and with some training.
Thank you for taking the time to take the photos that really capture the dog's personality and for posting those. It makes a huge difference when someone is clicking through pages and pages of animals on Petfinder. To capture Glenda in her joyful, goofiness was the absolute best thing that you could have done for her! thanks so much!!!
Between photographers, videographers and educated Adoption Team members, we really can increase our adoption success rate.
My goal is to volunteer myself out of a job!!!
A world full of animals to help and only one lifetime in which to do it!
aplappert

Postby jenniesloan86 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:57 pm

aww thanks :)

I'm so glad that it made a difference.

I've been focusing more on the cats lately, but I miss my dogs :) I'll spend some more time with them tomm.
jenniesloan86

Return to Dog and Cat Adoption Team